Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Corporate Research & Development
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
As a battery material scientist, you will be part of battery team and you will be responsible for material evaluation for rechargeable batteries. You will be responsible for electrochemical material analysis. Based on these analyses and your material expertise you generate ideas for new material developments. You will be also responsible for new electrochemical methods development to broaden your expertise and make it available within different R&D projects. Moreover, you maintain an internal network and share expertise with your colleagues.
Who we are looking for
- You are responsible for the electrochemical material analysis and development of characterization methodology.
- You establish and utilize basic design of experiments to ensure comprehensive validation of newly developed materials.
- You create understanding and insight in electrochemical analyses and relation with material properties.
- You build up material understanding and contribute to new material/process design
- You ensure the integration of new knowledge and expertise into internal capabilities around characterization through new methods and approaches, and daily interaction with the team.
- You identify and generate new ideas for IP generation.
- You lead projects ensuring effective execution, taking responsibility for the results, timing, budget and administration.
- You contribute to other R&D projects by actively participating in cross-team events and by facilitating the sharing of expertise amongst colleagues.
- You continue to develop your own as well as the group's expertise in this field. You explore new techniques and create new ideas and developments that might contribute to the growth of the knowledge domain.
- You build upon your network of excellence in order to explore new scientific methods and technologies.
- You assess and improve the quality system, the safety policies and environmental & health processes and procedures.
- PhD in electrochemistry or materials science or equivalent by experience
- You are interested in application driven research
- You have a deep knowledge on battery materials, interface, electrochemical characterization.
- Mastering inorganic chemical competencies on synthesis, characterization and materials science at a high level is an asset.
- You have a systematic and comprehensive approach towards technical and scientific issues and new developments
- You are strong in summarizing, reporting and presenting
- You have a systematic and methodological in approach.
- Programming skills in Matlab and/or Python is an advantage.
- Fluent in English, both written and orally.
- You are result-oriented, creative and your work passion proves infectious; as such, you succeed in convincing other people.
- You are a team player and customer minded.
- You have good networking and communication skills, able to proactively build functional relations inside and outside the company
- You have strong analytical skills, able to assess & summarize(numerical) information and share knowledge and expertise with others
- You are prepared to travel abroad.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
[See more details at UMICORE website]
If my pioneering research can drive our progress in clean mobility, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO?