Project Leader for advanced cathode materials
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Corporate Research & Development
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
As Project Leader for advanced cathode materials you will develop the synthesis, characterization methods and evaluation criteria of next generation cathodes for rechargeable batteries. In that purpose, you will manage different projects executed by a cross-functional team in order to generate knowledge and expertise on such materials, and their potential for Umicore growing business in bat battery materials.
The function will be located in Olen (BE) and will report to the Program Director Batteries CRD.
Detailed Responsibilities :
- On the cathode materials development, you contribute to the definition of the project strategy and technical scope
- You execute, organize and follow-up defined research projects within the research program by coordinating the different technical teams? The general goals of the projects are:
- Synthesis development of next generation cathode materials for rechargeable batteries at both lab scale and pilote scale
- Establishment of the characterization and evaluation tools required for such materials (diffraction techniques, spectroscopy, advanced electrochemical methods…)
- Knowledge accumulation on the manufacturing and integration of novel cathodes
- You transfer successful product development towards business unit for further commercialization
- You share the findings and the advancement of the projects with the different stakeholders
- You participate in and initiate external collaborations that are beneficial for Umicore strategy
- You contribute to other R&D projects and internal scientific emulation by actively participating in cross-team events and by facilitating the sharing of expertise amongst colleagues
- You functionally manage (1-5) direct reports as well as implement and control CRD safety rules and quality procedures
Who we are looking for
- You have obtained your PhD in Sciences or Engineering (Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Materials science) or equivalent through relevant research experience.
- You have a deep knowledge on materials, their synthesis and their characterization (XRD, microscopy, spectroscopy…). Having expertise in the field of metal oxide chemistry is a must.
- You have a systematic and comprehensive approach towards technical and scientific issues and new developments.
- You identify and make recommendations on potential collaboration projects or participation to funded projects.
- You are strong in summarizing, reporting and presenting.
- Fluent in English and (willing to learn) Dutch. French, German, Korean or Chinese are a clear asset.
- You are result-oriented, creative and driven by scientific curiosity; you are successful in guiding project teams, motivating and convincing other people.
- You are a team player and customer minded with intimacy skills to understand business unit strategy and priorities relevant to the project.
- You have good networking and communication skills, able to proactively build functional relationships inside and outside the company.
- You have strong analytical skills, able to assess and summarize information and share knowledge and expertise with others.
- You are prepared to travel abroad.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
[See more details at UMICORE website]
If my pioneering research can drive our progress in clean mobility, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO?