TECHNOLOGY ANALYST MANAGER
Rechargeable Battery Materials
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Rechargeable Battery Materials (RBM)
We are all on the move. Umicore’s rechargeable battery materials give people autonomy and connectivity. We are a pioneer in battery materials that give added range and performance to electric vehicles. Our materials also ensure longer battery life for portable electronics. To enable our customers to produce even better performing batteries we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
You will be responsible for collecting, analysing and reporting technology evolutions from the rechargeable battery market, on the short, mid and long term and give guidance to the Technology Strategy team. You will report to the Strategic Insights and Analytics (SIA) Manager.
- You identify and translate into materials related metrics the technology drivers for the various Li-ion technologies and markets: type of chemistries, evolutions and trends…etc. This includes cathode and anode materials evolution but also other components in the cell.
- You monitor key players technology moves in the value chain with deep focus on peers and competitors’ technology strategy (following literature, patents, public announcements….).
- You monitor technical progresses of “post Li-Ion” technologies such as Li-S, Li-Air, Solid State Batteries etc. You have a critical technical assessment of the value of these disruptive technologies and of their key players.
- With a focus on the Energy Stationary Storage Market, you monitor non-Li-ion technologies such as flywheels, capacitors, other electrochemical solution (NiMH, advanced lead acid), flow batteries, compressed air…For each of these technologies you also identify key players and give a critical view on their technical challenges.
- You summarize and report your findings on a regular basis for use by management in defining RBM innovation roadmap and global technology strategy.
- You attend conferences and fairs, interact with external technology analysts to gain knowledge and get insights on technology evolutions in the markets of interest for Umicore.
Who we are looking for
- You have a master’s degree in chemistry, Physics, Material Sciences, Engineering, or similar with experience in the field of batteries. A PhD is a plus but is not required.
- A 1 or 2 years’ experience in consulting or in a similar position is a plus.
- You are keen to continuously learn about emerging technologies and their real-world applications.
- You are excellent at finding, compiling and analysing new technical information.
- You are a data cruncher, computer literate with excellent knowledge of Microsoft (and associated) tools.
- You are multilingual (English, and minimum one out of other languages like Dutch, French, Mandarin, Korean, Japanese).
- You are a critical thinker and are able to work in a team as well as independently.
- You are willing to travel abroad.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If our battery materials can power electric vehicles, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO?